How I deal with being an anxious mess
I have had continuous anxiety and periods of major depression since I can remember. I've come to terms with the fact that it's never going to leave, so this is how I deal.
- •I run almost everydayAt least 3 miles. The more anxious I feel, the longer I run. It is the best treatment for my anxiety. No exaggeration, running saved my life.
- •I eat carbs!Good carbs. Whole grains mostly. Carbs make you feel good. There are studies about how low carb diets increase anxiety and depression.
- •I also eat a ton of fruit and vegetablesVery little meat in my diet for a lot of reasons. But I've found I feel better mentally when I mostly eat plants.
- •I eat fatHealthy fat. Avocados, nuts, peanut butter, olive oil, vegetable oils
- •I spend time outside as much as I canCamping, hiking, any length of time away from stuff, helps
- •Coloring books!I can't meditate without doing something with my hands.
- •I go to churchThe ritualism of the Eucharist is calming and comforting.
- •SupplementsI don't know if they really help, but I've read that probiotics and turmeric have shown some promise. So I take them along with my antidepressant every morning.
- •ReadingEscapism works and there is nothing wrong with it if used in moderation.
- •MusicIt can calm and lift my mood quickly.
- •Give voice to my anxietiesSaying them out loud to someone takes away some of its power.
- •Li.st of course!Reading lists and writing them!