What I do when I get depressed
I don't have chronic all consuming depression, and haven't in several years. But I do have weeks sometimes, when I feel myself slipping back in the hole. This is how I get out.
- •I don't feel guiltyI do not feel bad for feeling bad.
- •I sleep as much as I need to
- •I don't make myself go out if I don't wantIf I don't feel like facing life, I'll give myself a break for a day. Just one day. I know more than that leads down an unhealthy path.
- •I watch my favorite movies, reread a favorite book and listen to my favorite musicEven if it's not enjoyable right at that moment, it's a reminder that there are things that I normally love. A reminder I'm capable of enjoying things and that I will again.
- •I make myself reach out to a friendMy depression usually tells me, I have no friends and that no one loves me. This is a way to show myself how my depression lies.
- •I make myself exerciseEven if it's just a short walk.
- •Hang out with my kidsAnd let them dictate what we do.
- •I tell myself over and over and over and over that depression lies and it won't be like this foreverAnd repeat until it comes true again.