5 Odd & Wonderful Things I've Learned From Strangers on Planes
Sometimes the skies really *are* friendly. Useful, too.
- •The best day to return from a vacation."Book your flight to get you home on Friday night or Saturday morning. That way you get to unpack, decompress, do laundry, and have a weekend before heading back to work. It's like a vacation from a vacation!" -told to me by a gregarious Australian on a SYD to LAX flight.
- •Timothy Olyphant's best work on TV, besides Justified."If you like Timothy Olyphant in Justified, watch him in Deadwood." -told to me by Danny DeVito (!!!) on a JFK to LAX flight.
- •Where to get incredible Vietnamese food in Honolulu (which isn't much of a foodie city, sadly)."Duc's Bistro is an amazing local secret. There's no scene, it's run by the family that owns it, and is amazing." -told to me by an early Facebook employee who now lives on Oahu half the year, on a JFK to LAX flight.
- •The secret to a successful relationship if you are a successful woman."He doesn't need to make as much money as you do, or be as "powerful," but he does need to have reached a level of success in his own world/field. My best relationship was when I was a C-level executive at a network and he was a tenured college professor and head of his department. We both felt like we were succeeding in our fields." -told to me by a fancy NYC executive lady on a JFK to LAX flight.
- •Why you're not supposed to fly for 24 hours after food poisoning, minimum."If you fly sooner, the pressure can trigger more spasms, and make you throw up all over again." -told to me by a kind Virgin America flight attendant as I barfed the entire way from LAX to JFK. Damn you, shrimp tacos on a Sunday.