What to Order at Jon and Vinny's *updated*
The new joint on Fairfax from the Animal/Son of a Gun/Petit Trois guys is 💯 and I'm obsessed. If you haven't been, you need to go ASAP. If you can't get a reservation, get pick-up or Postmates. I haven't eaten EVERYTHING yet, but these are my favorites after five visits.
- •FIRST THINGS FIRST: Talk to Helen about wine.She's a genius and will point you in a great direction. She has a little wine store in the back of the restaurant that's awesome too, and has wines that normally are only available at restaurants. She's seriously a genius, I can't stress that enough. A hot, smart, funny genius.
- •Peter's Meatballs, Marinara, Ricotta, Garlic BreadIn addition to being a seriously hearty and wonderful appetizer, it's also a very fine lunch meal, especially with a salad. The two meatballs are heavy, but light, the two pieces of garlic bread are flawless, and the ricotta & marinara are divine.
- •Gem Lettuce, Calabrian Chili Dressing, Parmesan, Bread Crumbs.Kinda like their version of a Caesar salad, but seriously dusted with crunchy, golden, fine bread crumbs. I'm a brat and ask them to lightly dress or dressing on the side because I think they're a skotch heavy-handed, but I'm finicky like that.
- •Cornmeal Fried Spring Onion with Chili AioliA chic, artisanal, insanely good version of a Bloomin' Onion. Just writing about it makes me want to stuff the whole thing in my mouth right now.
- •Bucatini Cacio E PepeBlack pepper, butter, and Parmesan: so simple, so good. It's my favorite pasta by FAR and the bucatini are perfectly fat.
- •Sonny's Favorite PizzaGot this the first night and @jonathan said it might be the best pizza he's ever had, and he's not prone to exaggeration about food. Comes with grilled Niman slab bacon, mozzarella, tomato, onion, and grana padano. #nomnomnom
- •The Supreme PizzaMEATS! All of the MEATS! Mortadella, mozzarella, provolone picante, red onion, mustard greens, chili oil.
- •Crust Dips!The ranch is the best one, but the others (creamy Italian and marinara) are good too.
- •Soft Serve Ice CreamI never thought I'd say this, but vanilla > chocolate.
- •Pro tip: There's an unmarked valet in the alley behind the restaurant.
- •That fucking Burrata pizza!Suggested by @samboyd
- •Ok but also the bologneseSO EFFING GOODSuggested by @garrett
- •NEW TO LIST Spicy Vodka Fusilli!!!!Perfect, simple, exactly what we all want always.
- •NEW TO LIST: White Lightening PizzaWhite pizza with pickled jalapeños. #nomnomnom