Already on li.st? Open in app.
It's been awhile since I did one of these but I figured since 2016 is around the corner from being over I'd make a list of albums I enjoyed. Full disclosure: I didn't get around to listening to a whole lot this year cos of adult things like sleep and work, so this isn't a "best of" this is mainly what piqued my interest this year.
- •A Seat At The Table - SolangeThis album came RIGHT on time. It encapsulates so much of the black woman/person experience. I'm so glad Solange is FINALLY starting to get her due. A lot of people like to keep her in the 'Beyoncé's little sister' box but she really is a talented multi-faceted artist on her own. This album helped me walk away from a relationship I no longer was happy with and simultaneously deal w/ the audacity that was November 2016. Fave tracks: F.U.B.U., Don't Touch My Hair, Mad. THE WHOLE ALBUM NO SKIPS.
- •99 Cents - SantigoldNo matter what Santi puts out, it's going on a list. I ❤️ everything she does. Her first two albums still bang, even though it's been almost a decade since self-titled came out, I still play it like it was just released. Master Of My Make Believe was a little on the dark side but 99 Cents is probably Santi's most light & fun album to date. Favorite tracks: Can't Get Enough Of Myself, Chasing Shadows.
- •Leave Me Alone - HindsThis is the Alt Rock from the 90's that I miss. The girl bands. The lo-fi. It's refreshing to hear Hinds' sound in 2016. Kat Stratford would approve. I give it all the stars ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ Favorite tracks: Solar Gap, Easy.
- •12-20-16 Me if I had actual flower powers and life was full of peace & love and harp solo's
- •12-22-16 The last photo taken with my !nerdy girl reading glasses 😔 RIP Random-day-in-June 2015 - October 13, 2016. Fun fact: this was also the last photo taken mere minutes before the death of my last relationship (but not of my cold black heart) RIP November 18, 2015 - October 13, 2016
- •Hi, I'm Chantel 💜
- •I am not French (African American/Japanese actually) but my name is. Wish I could tell you some beautiful poetic story about how my parents came up with it - they didn't. They stole the idea from my ant, who stole it from... a 'Price Is Right' model. Could be worse, she could've been watching 'Wheel of Fortune' &you'd be calling me Vanna right now.
- •I'm obsessed with musicI'd like to think in a healthy way (mostly.) I listen to everything. Literally everything (my mom nicknamed my iPod 'The Radio' — but clearly it's been awhile since she turned on a radio because I take offense to that.)Well, almost everything, maybe not polka. Only because I didn't realize that was an actual real music genre (there's a whole Grammy category for it!? The more you know 💫) No offense to polka fans.