Why We Love Music
Music is an integral part of being human.
- •EscapeWhen I listen to music, I'm not a white, middle class yuppie anymore on my commute. I'm much more.
- •ReleasMusic is relaxing and often pulls out the emotions we are unable vocalize.
- •Understanding-empathyThis is similar to the last one. Whether it's heartbreak or ecstasy, a talented musician has experienced it too and wrote a song about it.
- •SolidarityIn a culture full of individuals, we want to belong. That's why we have fan clubs and country clubs and chess clubs. Music enables us to belong.
- •FunMusic is just fun. As I write this, I'm listening to "All Star" by Smash Mouth, so come on.
- •WorshipAs a Christian, music is more to me than just the above. It's one of the ways that I connect with God. When I sing an ancient hymn, I remember how I am joined with other believers through the ages, worshiping as one Body. When I sing a modern worship song, I meditate on the words being sung by others around the world and remember our common salvation.