Movies I technically like, but am suspicious of people who like them TOO much
- •Fight ClubWhen I was in high school and first getting really into movies, I counted this one among my favorites largely because I hadn't seen anything like it before. I still appreciate a lot about it, but if a dude really moves this ode to toxic masculinity...I'm wary. A guy friend also just went on a date with a girl who claimed this as her favorite movie, which is a very Cool Girl (tm Gillian Flynn) move, suggesting this 25 year old has about my 15 year old self's mentality.
- •AnchormanI, too, found Anchorman hilarious when I first watched it in 2004. But there is a certain type of dude who quoted it constantly. And there is an even more specific type of dude who STILL busts out a quote every now and then, even a decade later.
- •Citizen KaneWhen I was interning my first summer in Los Angeles, a fellow intern said this was her all time favorite movie. Not that she appreciated it for the time and it's role in film history. It was her desert island, all time fave. I just wanted to say, "Calm down, Karen, we all took a film class in college."
- •2001: A Space OdysseyWe 👏🏻 all 👏🏻 took 👏🏻 a 👏🏻 film 👏🏻 class 👏🏻 Dave 👏🏻 you're 👏🏻 not 👏🏻 special 👏🏻
- •Pulp Fiction"I like Pulp Fiction." "Cool, me too." "Tarantino is my favorite director." "Get out of my sight."
- •Garden StateAs a teen, this movie introduced me to small indie films with great soundtracks. I loved it so much that my soft spot remains. But this some Manic Pixie Dream Girl nonsense.
- •The list of movies I DON'T like and am suspicious of people who do is much, much longer