Shows I watch with my family, ranked by overall enjoyment by all parties
Because I'll fly back to NC for holidays soon, and tv viewing habits will shift accordingly.
- •FriendsFriends being added to Netflix + my parents getting a Roku = the best thing to happen to my visits home. I no longer have to bring all my DVD discs. Catch us watching this most nights, honestly - I'm slowly gifting my mom all the Funko Pop dolls for her desk. My brother likes it least, probably, but still likes it a lot.
- •That 70's ShowMy brother and I have been watching this pretty much since childhood. We still love it, my parents like it a surprising amount (they laugh the most at Red). Lot of Christmas episodes, too, which is nice for a marathon during the December visit. Fun fact: when I came out to my brother, literally the second thing he said was "I knew you were at LEAST gay for Donna."
- •The OfficeDitto a lot of Christmas episodes. Dad, brother and I love it. Mom loves Jim and thinks Dwight is funny.
- •How I Met Your MotherI gave this up the last few seasons, but didn't hate it to the point where it colored early episodes. For lengthier visits home, I sometimes change it up with something from the first three seasons. Parents love it, brother thinks Barney is hilarious.
- •Modern FamilyMy parents LOVED this show its first few years. Brother and I enjoyed it. I was encouraged by Cam and Mitch being dad's favorite characters. I don't think they keep up anymore, but they also never change their DVR settings so there are always a few on there and sometimes when I'm home I check back in out of boredom/television monotony (if it's not clear, my main role during visits home is a sort of Television DJ)
- •NashvilleSomewhat mystifyingly, my dad, who likes episodic sitcoms but rarely keeps up with serialized television, LOVES Nashville. The music is his jam. It's a big soapy guilty pleasure for me. Mom claims not to like it much when Dad is keeping up with the new seasons, but she sure seemed content last Christmas when dad and I started playing a bunch of season one episodes on Hulu. Brother has no interest.
- •The Big Bang TheoryAnother one my parents used to love. I never hated it like I'm supposed to, but still think it should've been cancelled years ago and usually treat them to a lecture about why it doesn't deserve awards. Still, we keep it on when it's on TBS or something and no one seems that bothered.
- •It's Always Sunny in PhiladelphiaThis is mostly me and my brothers jam, but my dads been in the room while we watch before and sometimes he laughs.
- •CommunityBrother and I love this. Parents react with confusion when they walk through the living room when it's on.
- •30 RockDitto.
- •Bonus: Black MirrorHaven't actually watched this at home yet, but my brother texted last week that its his new favorite show but he hasn't watched all the early seasons. Told him to save at LEAST the Christmas special for over the break. I also feel like my dad might think a select few of these were really cool.