Carson Mccullers Stories, Ranked.
Just finished The Ballad of the Sad Cafe as my introduction to Carson McCullers. Below are my favorites, in order.
- 1.A Tree, A Rock, A Cloud."There were these beautiful feelings and loose little pleasures inside me. And this woman was something like an assembly line for my soul. I run these little pieces of myself through her and I come out complete."
- 2.The Sojourner"There's nothing that makes you so aware of the improvisation of human existence as a song unfinished. Or an old address book." ... "...as though an emotion as protean as his love could dominate the pulse of time."
- 3.The Ballad of the Sad Cafe."A most mediocre person can be the object of a love which is wild, extravagant, and beautiful as the poison lillies of the swamp."
- 4.Madame Zilensky and the King of Finland.
- 5.A Domestic Dilemma."His hand sought the adjacent flesh and sorrow paralleled desire in the immense complexity of love."
- 6.The Jockey.