WHAT I WANTED TO BE GROWING UP, CHRONOLOGICALLY
- •Scuba DiverPre-school. Still into this idea.
- •BossI'm not kidding. I told my mom "I wanted to fire people". I was/am a monster.
- •ActressDecided around 2nd grade that this was it for me.
- •Director/Show runner/WriterIn 6th grade, a parasite crawled into my brain that told me I would never make it as an actress because there were no little people on television. I figured that if I couldn't be in front of the camera, I would at least be behind it.
- •DoctorIn high school, I panicked and decided I wanted to make money. I started studying more in science classes and became determined. Then, on a college visit to University of Indiana, I picked up an MCAT book and had a full on panic attack in the middle of a Barnes and Noble. I started crying and told my Mom that I didn't want to be a doctor, I just wanted to b able to take care of my family. She told me that she never stopped believing in me becoming an actress.
- •ActressIn college, I was still acting all of the time and writing very little of the time, but I still insisted I had to be a writer. After my final musical theatre performance, my then boyfriend's Mom took me aside and basically asked me "who the fuck I was kidding". She told me that there was no reason I shouldn't be pursuing this. Then Game of Thrones premiered and my world got fucking rocked. Dinklage was doing it! He won his Emmy the night before I moved to LA. I cried for an hour.