SONGS THAT INSPIRE ME TO WRITE
I have had an intense love affair with music my entire life. Music is how I've always understood the world. I started writing at a young age, and music always helped inspire my writing. Coincidently, @nathanveshecco inspired this list with all his music list lately😀. https://open.spotify.com/user/12184881446/playlist/217LJcdViLiLJopTmZCbkI
- •Carefree Highway - Gordon LightfootI've always loved Gordon Lightfoot. He was one of my first concerts as a kid. I actually got to meet him. I used to listen to him for hours as I wrote. This was also one of the first songs I learned on guitar.
- •I Got a Name - Jim CroceOne of my favorite songs by one of my favorite song writers. This is the song that inspires me when I feel like just giving up.
- •It Don't Matter to the Sun- Rosie ThomasThe first time I heard this song, my friend Mikey was singing it in a bar. It was actually how we met. The honesty of the lyrics moved me to tears.
- •Proud Souls - Cross Canadian RagweedThe first time I heard this song, I was working as a bartender. One of my regular customers played it. As it was playing, I watched the expressions of all of my customers. It was if the song was each of their story. Hell, it felt like my story on some days. On my down time that night, I wrote a story about it. I love this damn song.
- •Elton John - LevonSuch an amazing story in this song. Listen closely..an entire lifetime is contained within these 5 minutes.
- •Flogging Molly - If I Ever Leave this World AliveI think this is what a love song should be. It's not sappy or sad, but he promises to love her in his afterlife. Plus I'm Irish..I can't help but love Flogging Molly.
- •Angie - Rolling StonesI've always had a soft spot for this song. It takes me back to an ex and a breakup. Enough said.
- •Rocket Man - Elton JohnI sometimes think Bernie Taupin and Elton John are the perfect song writing team. I hear a song they have written, and I have to create something.
- •Billy Joel - She's got away about herThis song is just so fucking honest. He doesn't make her sound perfect, but he makes her sound so beautifully real. Who doesn't want to be loved like that, or to love like that?
- •Yesterday - BeatlesIt's the Beatles...'nuff said
- •Never been to Spain - Three Dog NightMy older brother always played this when I was a small child. This song has always just made me happy.
- •House of the rising sun - The AnimalsThe guitar...what can I say? And the way he attacks the lyrics? Doesn't that inspire you?
- •Blue on black - Kenny Wayne ShepherdThis song takes me to dark places, but I think that's necessary sometimes. I have had many a beer listening to this song, and spent hours just writing and purging my soul.
- •She's out of my life - Michael JacksonThe pain in this song is almost unbearable. The break in his voice at the end just does me in.