Already on li.st? Open in app.
Just a warning: okay maybe obscurish. I never said I was a COOL teen. Also he...maybe gently mocked me?
- •So I got to meet Billy Bragg this weekend.Do you know him? If you think "folk punk pop" sounds like your cup of tea, then you should.
- •I had lots of teen idols.I was ~susceptible~ okay? If you were (a) male, (b) preferably English, but will settle for Commonwealth, esp. New Zealand, yes, Neil Finn, I am addressing you, that'll do, (c) either Romantic or Mopey or Tortured (or at least have tortured hair) or best of all, Earnest except unless you are Scathingly Witty, and/or (d) have That Thing I Like, then I 👏🏼 am 👏🏼 into 👏🏼 it 👏🏼.
- •But Billy was a little different.I was skulking in the cool, university-adjacent record shop in 9th grade & heard an album playing that liked. A lot. So I sidled over to the cool college kid behind the counter and asked, what album is that? I was shy & this was hard and therefore memorable. Also: not one of my friends knew this album, or artist really. So it was kinda private.
- •I worked a 12 hour shift today.Well, 11.5 because my saintly co-workers cut me loose at 6:30 instead of 7:30 because I drew all the wrong cards all weekend.
- •(In the way that one can do, in the ICU.)
- •And I hustled home.My husband is in India for work.
A weird little tale.
- •In 6th grade, I was living in Southern CA.A sunny place. Not too far from Disneyland. We went there fairly often- it was way cheaper back in the day, and hey, 20 min drive, so, cool.
- •For 6th grade graduation, our school trip was going to be a day at Disneyland!It was going to be SO RAD to go with friends, not like, a single friend or maybe two and a parent. The whole class! Shenanigans on a grand scale!!
- •But one day...(You knew something had to be up...)
Inspired by @bjnovak
- •Kraft DinnerI'm not Canadian. My parents aren't Canadian. Why was it known as Kraft Dinner in my house? 🤔
- •Endless grilled cheesesI learned to make this for myself in maybe 3rd grade? Always with ketchup.
- •NutellaWe lived in Germany for awhile, so I've been on the Nutella tip since like 1979. Old skool.
Inspired by @andersun
- •(Not counting long-standing babysitting & cat-sitting gigs)Which I started in 6th grade. Apparently in today's world this leads to CPS investigations?
- •Holiday hire for gift-wrapper at a local clothing store.They liked me & kept me on as a cashier. I learned that some people are monstrous assholes who dump merch all over dressing rooms. Often torn and/or smeared with make-up. I quit when it interfered with track season.
- •Counter person at a bakery.They employed like 70% of the girls at my HS. I lasted longer than average, probably 18 mos. Learned to make espresso drinks, ate a metric ton of cookies, never graduated to baker (badass babes with burned forearms!). Cemented a lifelong disgust of tuna salad/tuna melts/the band Hot Tuna from having to wash out the sandwich station tubs at the end of the night. 💀
He is 4. He flunked out of racing school.
- •He likes to sleep in.
- •He could be a model.
- •Blue Steel, baby.
As requested by @LAmag .This list is by no means comprehensive. If you're a beer tourist (or accidentally become one when you get here because you get ~awakened~), don't neglect to take a day trip to Hood River. Or an overnight to Bend. Or maybe Eugene. Or hit Astoria. You get the idea. 🍻
- •Ecliptic BrewingSolid patio, wide-ranging array of beers (light, dark, sour, experimental, they do 'em). Founded by the gent behind some of Oregon's core craft beers (Mirror Pond, anyone?). Menu changes frequently & takes some risks, not your standard pub food.
- •Loyal Legion99 taps, all Oregon. No Washington- not even Vancouver. Just Oregon. Fun high-back leather booths, nice for sitting with friends- the best beers are those enjoyed in good company!
- •Gigantic BrewingGotta time this one right- a sunny day is clutch here. The inside's pretty small. If the food carts aren't open, you're outta luck beyond some (very tasty but not a meal) local popcorn they sell. But the beers are innovative, the bartender is always nice, and the vibe is very good indeed.
- •Proof that being covered by Eric Bachmann is a bad omen (part 1).
- •Proof that being covered by Eric Bachmann is a bad omen (part 2).
- •Me n' a buncha my homies did ok at a 10k and were not last in our age divisions.
- •Reaching the end of my run, because it sucked today.
- •My hound dancing because 👏🏼 we 👏🏼 were 👏🏼 going 👏🏼 for 👏🏼 a 👏🏼 walk!
- •Combining some spicy ginger beer with Aval Pota, both of which I'd sort of forgotten to use, and realizing I had created a brilliant (ok, def palatable, yum, let's have 2) drink.