Behaviors no one told me were abusive
I don't want anyone to be as ignorant as I was
- •Hating all of my friends, only wanting to hang out one on one or with his friends
- •Wanting me to be more physical/touchy in publicI thought that was rude. He thought it was important and berated me about it
- •Coercion and manipulation centered around sexual behaviors
- •Crying and threatening to hurt himself because of what I'd done
- •Crying and threatening to hurt himself because of what he'd done and my response to it
- •Not letting me be on my phone when I was with himI thought it was cute that he wanted all my attention. Really it was controlling.
- •Being charming with people when he needed to, including giving me lavish giftsMy parents loved him because he was "so good to me"
- •Telling someone "I'll kill myself if you ever leave me."Or otherwise making someone feel like they cannot get out of the relationship.Suggested by @feminist
- •Cancelling plans late enough to know I won't go out at all that night.He doesn't want to see me, but doesn't want anyone else to either.Suggested by @Boogie
- •Throwing, breaking, or otherwise damaging things that belong to you.This behavior is meant to intimidate and control. No bueno!Suggested by @mchellepeterson
- •When they insist you prove that you aren't cheating on them by asking you to stop hanging out with anyone they suspect (like your best friend).Suggested by @kamina
- •Backhanded complimentsNothing ever sincere. Always a compliment as a veiled criticismSuggested by @dreadpiratemama
- •Insisting upon handling the money/billsMaybe they are "better at it" but truly want to leave you without the resources to leave.Suggested by @perrimyam
- •Insulting friends/spreading rumors about youSo it seems like 1) you don't want to hang out with those losers anyway, 2) no one wants to hang out with youSuggested by @perrimyam