BOOKS I READ ON SUMMER VACATION [⛱+📖]
I don't read a ton of books @ home w/ the distractions of TV, interweb, soccer, work, kid, dog, chores, etc. However, beach vacations are another thing. Slow pace, sun & humidity; nothing to do but sit & read. Here's my vaca list....
- •Sweet Nothing. Richard Lange.Like an Robert Altman film, mostly LA stories in a multitude of voices. Excellent range. Very topical, compelling pieces.
- •Before The Fall. Noah Hawley.Director/writer of FX's Fargo. Page turner. I don't read fast & finished in 1.5 days. Melange of modern society; über wealth, disaster, TV news/paparazzi, very entertaining.
- •Zero K. Don DeLillo.I love this author but did not enjoy this book. A kind of grey, depressing futurism of cryogenics via a tech cult. Should have read White Noise or Mao II again.
- •Little Failure. Gary Shteyngart.Having enjoyed his fiction, thought I'd give his memoir a try. Very poignant & funny. Russian/immigrant experience in detail & how it's shaped his world-view & sense of humor.
- •Hotels of North America. Rick Moody.Meta-novella through the format of Yelp like hotel reviews. A little too beholden to the structure/format- but laugh out loud in parts. Good vaca read.