Observations from Taking Facebook App Off My Phone (Lent 2017)
One of the things I gave up for Lent was the Facebook App on my phone. While I still need Facebook as a tool for my potential podcast and my #illphilawards. I realize how much it was consuming my life. Lent is about taking a step back to re-evaluate aspects in your life. Here are a few observations I have while taking a step back.
- •I have more time. I realize how often I was just staring at my phone mindlessly and just clicking the "like" button or commenting on other people's posts. At home it is easier to put my phone away and really be engaged.
- •Less occupied with the actions of others. The feeling of FOMO (fear of missing out) is decreased. Out of sight out of mind.
- •Less worried about whether so and so "likes" or comments on my stuff. Realize how much attention seeking behavior I was exhibiting through Facebook and its grip on me.
- •My circle of friends are still around. People who are important in my life are still there. Our relationship goes beyond some digital platform.
- •My mind is calmer. I felt overstimulated trying to engage in this platform all the time. I have more room in my head for thoughts and brainstorming when I am not wasting so much time on Facebook.