Despite what you think, psychoanalysis isn't/doesn't....
Many myths surround this age-old form of therapy.
- •Seek to change you.It merely helps you understand who you are, allowing you to let go of things that stand in the way of your true self.
- •Only care about "mom" stories and the unconscious.Because there's a lot more to humans than these two things.
- •Only care about the past.It's more about how the past lives on in the present. Are psychological wounds haunting you like ghosts, or have they become more like ancestors.
- •Only about Freud.His theories are just one of many in the analytic tradition.
- •Have to be 5 days a week.You don't need to lay on a couch Monday-Friday to benefit from depth-oriented psychotherapy.