SMACK DOWN BETWEEN NOTORIOUS RBG AND SCALIA OVER THE LADIES.
In 1996, Ruth Bader Ginsberg wrote the majority opinion in U.S v. Virginia, wherein SCOTUS ruled that the Virginia Military Institute could no longer exclude women. (Duh, right?). Scalia lost it.
- 1.BITCH, PLEASERBG starts her opinion by noting that women can hack the "adversative method" employed by VMI to create "citizen soldiers" so this separate schools thing is stupid. You can see her rolling her eyes when she writes "Neither the goal of producing citizen-soldiers nor VMI's implementing methodology is inherently unsuitable to women."
- 2.ANOTHER EYE-ROLL"Nevertheless, Virginia has elected to preserve exclusively for men the advantages and opportunities a VMI education affords."
- 3.DIVERSITY, MY ASSVirginia tried to argue that having single sex education furthered the state interest of diversity in the entirety of the Virginia public school system. RBG was like oh hell no: "A purpose genuinely to advance an array of educational options...is not served by VMI's historic and constant plan - a plan to afford a unique educational benefit only to males. However liberally this plan serves the Commonwealth's sons, it makes no provision for her daughters. That is not equal protection" BOOM.
- 4.DO I HAVE TO DO EVERYTHING AROUND HERE?RBG noted that Virginia had previously tried to fix the problem, based on a lower court ruling by creating a female only military college, called the Virginia Women's Institute for Leadership. Problem was the new school coddled women based on so-called "developmental differences" between men and women. RBG did not like that! She was like, Hi, remember when Texas set up a separate law school for black students? This is kinda like that.
- 5.IN SUMRBG sums up by calling bullshit on a few other things, like the idea that admitting women would somehow change the caliber of education at VMI, and that women wouldn't want to attend anyway. She was like, yeah I bet a lot of men don't want to be screamed at in the morning and go through boot camp either but that's not the point here. She also calls bullshit on the "expert" witnesses who testified that men and women have developmental differences. SCOTUS then ruled that VMI had to admit women. 💃
- 6.THEN SCALIA BURSTS A BLOOD VESSEL, TOTALLY FREAKS OUT."Today the Court SHUTS DOWN an institution that has served ...Virginia with pride and distinction for over a century and a half" (Caps, mine). He then quotes a poem about being a gentlemen from the cadet handbook, and says "I do not know whether the men of VMI lived by this code; perhaps not. But it is powerfully impressive that a public institution of higher education still in existence sought to have them do so. I do not think any of us, women included, will be better off for its destruction"
- 7.MEANWHILE...Almost 20 years later, VMI is tied for number 4 as one of the top public schools in the country, at least according to U.S News and World a Report.