CHILDREN'S FILMS I VIVIDLY REMEMBER WATCHING AS A KID AND STILL LOVE TODAY
- •Willy Wonka and the Chocolate FactoryGene Wilder is a god. This will always be my favorite movie. I've pretty much owned this movie in every format it was available in. I was actually sad to sell the Laserdisc version on eBay.
- •Watership DownThis movie freaked my shit up when I saw it as a youngster and certain scenes are still etched upon my brain. "The field... Is COVERED IN BLOOD!" Cue insane psychedelic animation of blood and dying rabbits. Gorgeous and amazingly animated. Seriously great storytelling and in no way dumbed down for kids.
- •Bugsy MaloneOne of my earliest memories ever are of seeing this movie at the drive-in, particularly a scene from the end of the movie where Bugsy recruits the guys at the soup kitchen to be in Fat Sam's gang. "Down down down and out. Down down down and out" shuffling forward in a line waiting for a bowl of soup. Sincerely a unique film in many ways. The entire cast made up of children playing adult roles. Truly brilliant songs and lyrics from Paul Williams.
- •E.T. The Extra TerrestrialSaw this movie while on an epic family road trip up the east coast, visiting "South of the Border" (SC/NC), Washington DC (can't beat the Smithsonian), New York City (actually got a behind the scenes tour of DC Comics at 666 5th Ave) and Baltimore, MD (so many crabs). In a hotel room somewhere along the way my two older sisters and I had a contest to draw what we thought E.T. was going to look like. None of us were even close.
- •Star Wars: Ep. IV, A New HopeThis was THE first movie I ever remember seeing. I was 4 in 1977, so it's not surprising that I only remember up to the point where R2-D2 and C-3PO are bickering in the desert. Then I fell asleep. But was pretty obsessed ever since.