8 Crazy Stylish Things We're Excited About in 2016
Want to sound like a regular in the fashion sphere? Grease Live, The Musical or the new Oscar de la Renta retrospective? Old news, because you learned about it here, first! Click here for a full list: http://www.instyle.com/fashion/fashion-forecast-2016
- •OSCAR DE LA RENTA RETROSPECTIVEThe first large-scale retrospective on the quintessential American designer, who died in 2014, opens at the de Young Museum in San Francisco. Fashion editor André Leon Talley, who curates the exhibition, brings together more than 100 unfailingly elegant ensembles created over 50 years. March 12—May 30, deyoung.famsf.org.
- •ZOOLANDER 2 COMES OUTForget blue steel. When Zoolander 2 hits theaters on February 12 (15 years after the original), the real status symbol for designers will be having a cameo in the film.
- •FAIRY TALE FASHION EXHIBITNew York's Museum at FIT welcomes maidens and mad hatters alike with "Fairy Tale Fashion," where Little Red's riding hood is by Comme des Garçons. January 15—April 16, fitnyc.edu/museum.
- •GREASE LIVE, THE MUSICALJulianne Hough as Sandy, Carly Rae Jepsen as Frenchy, and Vanessa Hudgens as Rizzo—Fox's January 31st live broadcast of Grease, the '70s musical, is being updated for an audience of millennials (just weeks after NBC takes on The Wiz). Will anyone get the references to Troy Donahue and Rock Hudson?
- •BARBIE IN PARISScholars have always been fascinated by her looks. The fashion icon hits the big time as the subject of a Musée des Arts Décoratifs exhibition. March 10—September 18, lesartsdecoratifs.com.
- •BINGE-WATCHING HBO'S VINYLVinyl, HBO's tough-talking music-industry drama from Mick Jagger, Martin Scorsese, and Terence Winter (premiering February 14), is like a cross between Empire and Boardwalk Empire.
- •DEMNA GVASALIA'S DEBUT COLLECTION FOR BALENCIAGAWith the prêt-a-porter ecosystem in a state of designer flux, all eyes will be watching the arrival of avant-garde creative director Demna Gvasalia at the house that Cristóbal built.
- •COACH'S 75TH BIRTHDAYThe buzziest birthday of the year belongs to the well-seasoned leather-goods brand, which celebrates its 75th year with an elevated ready-to-wear collection called Coach 1941. Creative director Stuart Vevers, who is pushing the label onto the luxury turf of its European counterparts, also puts his own spin on the saddlebag, based on the classic pouch from 1972.