Rod Stewart to Jane Fonda: The History of Leggings Through the Decades
Is there a more versatile wardrobe staple? One that can make you feel comfortable and sexy at the same time? Lets celebrate leggings, which every style icon from Audrey Hepburn to Olivia Newton-John has rocked. Herewith, our favorite moments in the history of leggings.
- 1.AUDREY HEPBURN, 1957Leggings or super skinny pants? Either way, the style icon made fashion (and film) history when she was cast as Jo Stockton in the musical film Funny Face with her all-black second-skin uniform.
- 2.ANN-MARGRET, 1960SThe Swedish-born actress and dancer got her groove on in a violet blouse and playful printed stirrup leggings during a studio portrait.
- 3.JACKIE COLLINS, 1971The English novelist and actress smoldered for the camera in her mixed prints, expertly pairing her tie-dyed tee with patterned skin-tight bottoms, which effectively achieved that carefree free-spirited look of the '70s.
- 4.OLIVIA NEWTON-JOHN, 1978Sandy Olsen (played by Newton-John) was a true Pink Lady with her trademark ringlets, off-the-shoulder black top, and shiny leggings in the 1978 hit musical film Grease.
- 5.ROD STEWART, 1979The pop legend made a wild statement on stage during the British leg of his world tour with his leopard-print top, bejeweled sash, and shiny Lycras.
- 6.DEBBIE HARRY, 1980The Queen of Punk Rock, who rode the New Wave of the '70s and '80s as the lead singer of Blondie, was also the first to rock leggings on stage. She went for a clashing red-and-yellow striped pair that she coupled with a graphic "Andy Warhol's Bad" tee.
- 7.CHER, 1982The legendary singer partied it up at the "Night of 100 Stars" Gala in her rocker ensemble, which consisted of embellished burgundy leggings, a black top, and a tough moto jacket.
- 8.TWIGGY, 1983The English model, actress, singer dialed up the drama in New York City when she paired her shiny black Lycra leggings with a glamorous one-shoulder top and a black lace headpiece.
- 9.JANE FONDA, 1983By the '80s, leggings quickly turned into an aerobics piece. Who helped to lead this movement? Jane Fonda—she released her first workout video Jane Fonda's Workout in 1982.
- 10.FARRAH FAWCETT, 1985The Charlie's Angels star opted for high-shine leggings for a night out on the town, styling the sparkle with a belted tunic and a satin oversize blazer.
- 11.MADONNA, 1985The Queen of Pop made leggings a part of her on-stage uniform, layering them under minis, dresses, and even faux wedding dresses. In this case, she wore a lace pair under a black micro skirt with a graphic top.