My Mad Fat Diary - why you should be watching
I started watching my mad fat diary last month when it came on Hulu, and it's the best thing I've seen in a long time. I have a few episodes left but I can't bring myself to finish them.
- •RaeWhen we meet Rae she is a compulsive over eater battling severe anxiety. She's just left the hospital and has to adjust to life out in the world again with a new group of friends. Sex is always on her mind and she makes no apologies for it and I love it.
- •The refreshing portrayal of anxiety, depression, and disordered eatingRae's panic attack sequences are almost too real. it's rare to see a panic attack on screen the way i truly lived it.
- •Sharon RooneyStars as Rae. She's hilarious and heartbreaking all at once. She deserves all the awards.
- •The performancesEvery member of this young cast gives amazing performances that are honest and raw. Teenage characters on tv I don't want to run & hide from!
- •Kester!Rae's therapist. I want a Kester.
- •SexRae obsesses over sex and desires it in a way girls in tv/film are rarely allowed to do (until last summer's Diary of a Teenage Girl, also fantastic)
- •And thisI laugh and/or cry every episode
- •The music! oasis & radiohead, among othersIt takes place in England in the mid 90s, so the music scene is a huge part of the show.
- •I wish this had been on when I was a sad and confused teenager, it would have done me a world of good.
- •Is anyone else watching it?