EVERY MUSICAL I'VE SEEN ON STAGE, CHRONOLOGICALLY
With the Hamilton soundtrack now tearing my heart out on the regular, I felt compelled to try to recall every piece of musical theater I've been lucky enough to see on stage. This took some semi-serious research since I don't really document my life that well. Here we go.
- •A FUNNY THING HAPPENED ON THE WAY TO THE FORUM - Trollwood Performing Arts School, Fargo-Moorhead, 1997My first musical theater experience.
- •JESUS CHRIST, SUPERSTAR - Trollwood Performing Arts School, Fargo-Moorhead, 1999A very techno take, and it was fantastic. A lady Judas too, I think. She was on fire and on point, especially considering these shows are put on by high schoolers.
- •LITTLE SHOP OF HORRORS - USNA Winter Musical, Annapolis, MD, c. 2003-2004Finally my college yearbooks would have come in handy. Too bad they are 1200 miles away.
- •THE PHANTOM OF THE OPERA - Broadway, NYC, c. 2004First show on Broadway, first with my future husband. We ended up having "All I Ask of You" sung at our wedding and doing our reception entrance to "Masquerade."
- •H.M.S. PINAFORE - USNA Winter Musical, Annapolis, MD, c. 2005-2006Don't doubt that mids can sing a little G&S.
- •FIDDLER ON THE ROOF - Broadway, NYC, 2005We went to this show the day after getting engaged. This was when Rosie O'Donnell was playing Golde.
- •SPAMALOT! - Broadway, NYC, c. 2006 (Original Cast)My father-in-law got to go onstage and received an award for being the best villager. Tim Curry and David Hyde Pierce? Yes, I was jealous.
- •CABARET - Arena Stage, Washington, DC, 2006I went into this one completely unaware of how tragically sad it is.
- •WICKED - London's West End, c. 2007My parents' first big stage musical. It was wonderful.
- •JOSEPH AND THE AMAZING TECHNICOLOR DREAMCOAT - London's West End, c. 2007If I were ranking them, this would sadly be bottom of the pile. Just not a great rendition, but still entertaining.
- •KISS ME, KATE - Shakespeare Theater Company, Washington, DC, 2016Wow, there was a long gap in here. Luckily this Cole Porter extravaganza was brilliantly done. Robyn Hurder killed as Lois.