ALCOHOL, DEPRESSION, & ANXIETY
I love wine, but in the spirit of self-care, it's worth reflecting on the effects that (heavy) drinking can have on your mental well-being.
- •We are emotionally affected by what we put in our bodies.
- •Your brain is stressed and rattled after a night of drinking, which can really impact your emotions.Because heavy drinking causes an imbalance of chemicals and nutrients in the body, you may experience feelings of sadness and anxiety along with your morning hangover.
- •Alcohol can also exaggerate current depressed and anxious feelings......particularly if you are predisposed to depression and anxiety.
- •If part of the reason why you drank a lot in the first place was to feel better about a challenge in your life, alcohol is only a temporary fix.And can leave you feeling even worse afterwards when you're back to reality.
- •As we all know, heavy drinking sometimes leads to words and decisions that you regret the next day. Or events you can't remember.Processing these things when you're sober can lead to even more guilt and anxiety.
- •Take care of yourself.Think about why, how much, and how often you're drinking. Maybe an extra drink isn't worth it. Your body and your mind deserve the best!