JEWISH ATHLETES I WAS TOLD TO BE PROUD OF
And you were, too
- •Hank GreenbergThe gold standard of Jewish athletes because most goys have never heard of him, and he did something memorably Jew-y (sat out a game of the World Series because of Yom Kippur).
- •Sandy KoufaxProbably the actual best Jewish athlete ever. Also sat out a game of the World Series because of Yom Kippur. Can you imagine if this happened today? Twitter would be a full-on anti-Semitic wasteland (more than usual).
- •Dolph SchayesWas a 12-time all star in a time when a 6"7 Jewish guy could be a 12-time all star.
- •Danny SchayesSon of Dolph! Had a career pretty much in line with what one would expect of a tall Jewish guy in the modern NBA (career averages of 8 points and 5 rebounds), though he did play for a shocking 18 years. According to Wikipedia, he starred in an advertisement for the Anti-Defamation League, in which he slam dunked and the tag line was, "If you really believe in America, prejudice is foul play!" I cannot imagine a less sensical image/tagline combo.
- •Mark SpitzWas the coolest kid on the block until some douchebro named Phelps came in and broke all his records. Basically a metaphor for Judaism and Christianity.
- •Omri CasspiJust kidding. Israelis don't count.
- •Jordan FarmarJust kidding. No one is proud of Jordan Farmar. Also, I originally misread this accompanying image as saying "Jewish Jordan," which I thought was hilarious.
- •Shawn GreenOn the LA Dodgers during my childhood. Missed a playoff game for Yom Kippur.Suggested by @Becca
- •Amare StoudemireRecently discovered distant ancestors who were part of the tribe. Visited Israel, converted, and is a devout Jew to this day. Originally drafted out of high school, he is a veteran member of the NBA with multiple all star game appearances.Suggested by @Jed
- •David (of David and Goliath fame)The prototype for all Jewish athletes, smaller, slower, and seemingly outgunned, he still managed to triumph on the day.Suggested by @gilbaron
- •Rod CarewDoesn't anyone remember Adam Sandler's Chanukah Song?Suggested by @Larry
- •Kevin YouuuuuuuukilisHe isn't Greek but a Jew. And Denis Leary gives one of his best rants of all time about Youk and his Tribe Membership. http://bit.ly/1M6m0l6Suggested by @donnie
- •Ryan BraunThat cheating-juicing-piece-of-shit is still *OUR* cheating-juicing-piece-of-shit.Suggested by @donnie
- •Jody Sheckter-Formula one driverSuggested by @dyl40011