MOVIES I INEXPLICABLY LOVED AS A KID
Okay, kids. The criteria for this list is: 1) if you owned the vhs/dvd, it was on constant rotation. If it was at the video store, you rented it constantly. 2) You have no desire to watch it today
- •Blank CheckThis is such a 90s movie. Unfettered capitalism (money gets you so much cool shit!) espoused by an unscrupulous, unlikable protagonist (marketed as an AWESOME dude) whose only character trait is "knowing how to spend money." Look at him tilt his fucking sunglasses.
- •An American Tail 2: Fievel Goes WestThe original was a striking, Maus-ian allegory about Jewish immigration in the US. In this one, Fievel, uh, goes west?
- •The Jetsons MovieThe 80s were awesome in a lot of ways. This movie is full of all the not awesome parts of the 80s.
- •Life With MikeyI was obsessed with this movie and I have no idea why. Much later (like, 2 years ago), I realized it was written and directed by James Lapin (book writer of Sunday in the Park with George and Falsettos) and filled with a who's who of 90's theater luminaries (Durang, Finn, Wasserstein). Still don't really want to watch it.
- •Shrek 2Watched on a weekly basis, had no interest in the first Shrek.Suggested by @josie
- •I was enamored with Pryor as a kid—probably because to a five year old he was the live action equivalent of Bugs Bunny, wild and anarchic—but this movie is bad in many many waysSuggested by @tombatten
- •Alice in Wonderland tv movieI even bought this DVD from Amazon for nostalgia and holy shit, it's sooo bad.Suggested by @shanaz
- •Ladybugs - this movie was awful but my sister & I loved!Suggested by @kate81
- •Richie RichAlmost every other movie I obsessively watched as a kid, I would happily watch today...except this one.Suggested by @LizDawson
- •The Jetsons Meet the FlintstonesI honestly don't even remember the plot anymore. I just remember adoring this cinematic classic as a small child.Suggested by @aj_oppen
- •Cool WorldIn retrospect, I probably shouldn't have been watching this movie as a kid.Suggested by @trailingpapers
- •Camp NowhereSuggested by @marykathryn
- •Disney Sing-AlongsSo many versions. The beach one was my fave. I had a few live action ones and some that were clips from different Disney movies.Suggested by @kbon