SONGS THAT UNIRONICALLY USE THE WORD "GAY" IN THEIR LYRICS TO MEAN "HAPPY"
With credit to zeitGAYst, which according to a Google search, helpfully compiled a bunch of these songs before I thought of this list idea
- •"Deck the Halls" by I Dunno"Don we now our gay apparel" (a classic to the point of cliche)
- •"Robin in the Rain" by Raffi"Showers always make you gay" (makes me giggle uncontrollably every time I hear it. I just love picturing Robin in the public showers at the gym being like, "NOT AGAIN!")
- •"I Feel Pretty" by Bernstein & Sondheim"I feel pretty and witty and gay" (Unintentional humor or perhaps part of a conspiracy by two gay writers (four, if you count Laurents and Robbins) to subliminally convince the audience that things could have been much better for Maria if she went with that gay feeling and hooked up with Anita)
- •"Glitter and Be Gay" by Bernstein & WilburBERNSTEIN AGAIN! IMPLORING AMERICA TO BE GAY! THE CONSPIRACY CONTINUES!
- •"Twistin' the Night Away" by Sam Cooke"Let me tell you about a place/Somewhere up-a New York way/Where the people are so gay/Twistin' the night away" (sounds about right)
- •"Why Do Fools Fall in Love?" By Frankie Lyman and the Teenagers"Why do birds sing so gay?" (Were these guys on my high school football team?)
- •"Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas" by Martin and Blane"Let the Yuletide be gay" (LET THE YULETIDE LIVE!)