Top Red Sox Pitching Trade Targets
A caveat that these are REALISTIC trade options. They aren't getting Syndergaard or Fernandez, folks.
- 1.Chris SaleFor all the talk, I'm not sure he's ever actually been available. I worry about his health long-term, but he's an ace and signed to an insanely cheap deal through '19.
- 2.Sonny GrayHis #s this last year weren't as great as I expected (3.8 fWAR) but he's 26 and his best years are to come. Don't believe Beane, he'll deal anyone if the price is right.
- 3.Matt HarveyThere is of course reason to be concerned about 216 IP off TJ surgery but I think he'll hold up. Battle tested in a big market. Still just 27.
- 4.Carlos CarrascoHere's the guy I expect the Red Sox would actually get. Signed through '20 and has swing-and-miss stuff. Watch this one closely.
- 5.Jose QuintanaChicago may be more willing to deal him than Sale. Not a bad consolation prize: signed through '20 with a 4.8 fWAR in 2015. Only 27.
- 6.Danny SalazarThree years younger than Carrasco but has one fewer year of control. Not as consistent as others here but has outstanding stuff when he's on.
- 7.Stephen StrasburgThe only reason I have him this low is because he's just a year from free agency. Since they're about to lose Zimmermann and Fister, I doubt Nats will trade him anyway.
- 8.Tyson RossI'm not positive he's better than what Red Sox already have. Only two years of control left and walks too many guys for my liking.