HOW TO DOMINATE (AND GET YOUR OWN LANE) AT THE PUBLIC POOL
I quit the swim team at 14 because I enjoy sleeping in, not smelling like chlorine when I sweat and generally having a social life but I have been swimming recreationally for a number of years and this is what I’ve picked up while (mainly trying to refrain from) interacting with the unwashed masses at the public pool.
- 1.First impressions matterKit is everything. Obviously wear proper swimwear - bikinis and board shorts do not deserve their own lane.
- 2.Wear a swim capThis is key in signalling to fellow swimmers that you mean business. Bonus points if it has a print from a race or sth. Minus points if it has the logo of the pool.
- 3.The water is -fine-Try to look unbothered by how freaking cold the water is as you initially submerge. You own this pool, the temperature is just right.
- 4.Strong startDo two initial laps really fast. This'll show them what they're up against if they stay in your way.
- 5.These steps ought to give you your own lane!Enjoy your swim, you're welcome.