Public Speaking Tips From My Uber Driver
I'm giving a talk tomorrow and by good fortune my Uber driver was a radio broadcaster and public speaker. I really liked how easy it was to incorporate some of his advice into a talk!
- •No "um"sReplace them with silent "um"s
- •Add intonation to your wordsInstead of being monotone
- •Replace pronouns like "she" with their antecedents like "Sally"Compare: "We visited Sally's to help sell her bike. She's not much of a rider." to "We visited Sally's to help sell her TV. Sally's not much of a rider." The latter is clearer and listeners who missed the first sentence can glean more info from the second.
- •Use "we" or "you" instead of "I"Include the audience
- •Speak to audience members individuallySpend some time looking people in the eye
- •Speak authenticallyEveryone has their own style. Be you.