First Things I Install on a New Windows Pc
Why buy a bunch of software when practically everything you need is free?!? I'll add other apps later like Photoshop, but this is my base system.
- •Windows 7 ProfessionalBecause Windows 8.1 and 10 are virtually unusable. Even though Win10 is "free," I'll pay for a Win 7 license. How sad is that?
- •Google ChromeInternet Explorer only serves one purpose: To download a different browser
- •Microsoft Security EssentialsFree virus protection software built into Windows 10, but still separate for older systems
- •Mozilla ThunderbirdOpen-Source email client that works with Exchange, Gmail and practically every system
- •Apache OpenOfficeGreat open-source alternative to Microsoft Office that does practically everything Word, Excel and Powerpoint do and even saves their file formats natively
- •Adobe Acrobat DCBecause even though PDFs have been around for 20 years, Windows' native support for PDFs is still terrible.
- •ITunes or VLC PlayerEither are much better equiped to handle music and video than Windows Media Player
- •Google Drive SyncSyncs my files between machines automatically; automatic backup
- •EditPad LiteFree, lightweight text editor that's more capable than TextEdit
- •7-ZipGreat open-source file compression utility