BOOK O GANZA - DANIEL DERONDA (PART 1 OF SEVERAL). ALL ABOUT GEORGE ELIOT
@ChrisK sent me Daniel Deronda by George Eliot. 710 pages. Clearly I will need to do many lists to cover this book.
- •Side angle.
- •George Eliot was a woman.
- •Born in 1918, she was christened Mary Anne Evans.
- •In her youth she was a devout evangelical Christian.
- •After being exposed to more liberal views she abandoned organized religion.
- •At 32 years she began a long term relationship with a married man. They lived openly in a society that viewed them as moral degenerates.They remained together for 25years until his death in 1878.
- •In 1880 she married a man 20 years her junior.
- •At first it was a secret that this widely regarded writer was a woman.Eventually it became public knowledge but she still remained one of the preeminent authors of the time.
- •Her first published novel was Adam Bede published in 1859.
- •Her last novel Daniel Deronda was published in 1876.
- •This woman was a helluva feminist.I will soon do a list based on the character of Princess Halm-Eberstein, Daniel Deronda's mother. Eliot speaks of things that no other author of her time dared express.
- •Eliot was a contemporary of Emerson, Dickens and Darwin.
- •I hope this inadequate list will encourage you to find out more about this amazing person.