How I designed an Award winning designer bag (Design process)
A couple years ago I started a fashion brand : Toyish Projects. The signature product was the self slotting bag; I got an design award for it. This, is the process and development of these bags. Ask me anything you like ☺️ I will try my best to answer them
- •I have created 3 seasons of these self slotting bag. They are all base on the same slotting system. For more photos:
- •So this design won an internal design award.
- •You can check out the slotting process in video:
- •I will use photos from the last 2 seasons to show the development process. Since the focus of the design is the actual constructional system of the bag, not the appearance, it will be applicable to do so.
- •The main concept here is the slotting system. In any leather goods out there on the market, 99% of them requires hand stitching/ sewing of some kind. I wanted to challenge that norm, and to create a state where not a piece of thread is needed in the construction of this bag. The entire thesis in on the website above.
- •Because I am not only designing the appearance of the bag, but an entirely new system of designing it, I had to sketch out some of the possible ways to do it. I call this the concept stage.
- •Is important to understand the material that you are working with; especially I am working with a system that solely depends on the material itself. I get leather scraps to start cutting those shapes and tasting different variation of things.
- •I then get a piece of paper and cut that into a shape that has embedded the slotting system and try to test out the scale of the bag.
- •Adjust the design base on the feed back of the paper model, and more sketching.
- •More physical model for the trail and error stage
- •Start turning that into an actual bag. In this case we are simply showing the coins bag, but the same system applies to all different sizes of bags. This is also the beauty of the system, that it can work with varies scale.
- •I then go find manufacturers. This is because I do want to mass produce the product.
- •10-20 cutting mounds were made to taste out the blade, size of bags, etc. This process does take a while but is very important to get it right, since I won't be able to supervise the actually production process while it undergoes mass production
- •If you watch the video above you would know that this system enables the user/ customer to actually slot the bag themselves, so I had to make an instruction guide.
- •Also in photos to demonstrate it.
- •The slotting detail.
- •And that's it!!! With this design system, I create 3 seasons of bags and gone on to win an award.
- •Even though the product is out, design is a thing that never truly ends, so once I have time, I will develop the design into an even better version 🙂