BEST WAYS TO DE-STRESS AND CALM ANXIETY
As a therapist, I find these are the most effective tools to help with stress on my clients. You don't need to be in therapy to use coping skills!
- •Deep belly breathing - Dirga pranayama (3 part breath)Sit comfortably and place a hand on your belly and a hand on your chest. As you inhale, deepen your breath and breath into your belly, so your hand should raise on your belly on your inhale and fall on your exhale. Try and deepen your breath so you fill your belly then your ribs, then your chest. As you exhale, exhale in reverse. So you will empty the breath from you chest, then your ribs, then your belly. As you become comfortable with this style of breathing, you can rest your hands.
- •Color!It's as effective as meditating!
- •Progressive muscle relaxationThis is to not only relax you, but to identify where in the body you hold stress. Starting from your feet and slowly moving up your body, tense 1 body part at a time and hold the tension for 10 seconds. Deepen the tension and then release. Move on to the next body part. Start from your feet, to your legs and knees, to your thighs, your butt, abs, chest, biceps and arms, neck, and finally your face. Pay particular attention to your jaw bone and the space between your brows.
- •Take a walk
- •Distract yourself
- •Drink water
- •Write it down or journal!
- •Focus on the here and now
- •Take a bath or do something selfish for yourself