BEST TV PILOTS
A good pilot sets up the show perfectly, establishing immediately the tone of the show and the characters' world.
- 1.Friday Night LightsThis pilot gets everything about Dillon and football and the people who love them just right. It makes you care, immediately, about these people.
- 2.Crazy Ex-GirlfriendHilarious and weird and brilliant right away. Plus, this is the episode that gave us the perfection that is "The Sexy Getting Ready Song."
- 3.Veronica MarsSimilar to FNL, this pilot immediately brings you into the town at the center of this show. Plus, Veronica's noir narration is the best first impression of a character. (But her hair is SO terrible.)
- 4.LostThat opening scene!!!! The rest of the episode is great--it sets up some of the easier initial mysteries of the island--but this episode makes this list for that opening scene alone.
- 5.Arrested DevelopmentThe rare excellent 1/2 hour comedy pilot. Most shows need awhile to calibrate their comedic style, but this emerged fully-formed, like an Athena from Mitchell Hurwitz's brain.