- •We took a school bus to get there.The drive was 45 minutes but the road took us through the Catskills, which are actually beautiful, lush and green.
- •It was at a barn.Did that surprise you? Either way, it made the event so ethereal. Little twinkly lights and sunshine coming in through the holes in the wall.
- •The place cards were hand-written.
- •The bride and the groom wore white sneakers.The theme of the wedding was "white sneakers" and plenty of people showed up in white Adidas shoes or Converse high tops.
- •The bride walked in to "Wouldn't it Be Nice" by the Beach Boys.Teared up a little at this one. It's a fantastic song
- •There was a table inside with Polaroid cameras and Polaroid film to take pictures.Couldn't figure out how to get the camera to work but I thought the notion was really thoughtful. People could take little pictures from the wedding instead of having to wait a few months for the professional photos and probably never getting around to look at them. It was a nice, memory-preserving detail.
- •In this instance, I don't mean millennial in a critical way.Instead I interpreted it as the bride and groom departing from tradition, acknowledging that wedding hullabaloo (the only word I can use to describe it)is meaningless. They made wedding their own. It was low-key and casual and maintained sentimentality at the same time. It was exactly what the couple wanted and represented them perfectly--two people who love each other and want to celebrate it with their friends and family.