VEGAN JUNK FOOD RECIPES
When I think junk food, I think salty-savory, not sweet, so I'll stick to that. Also, I'll skip accidentally vegan stuff (like Spicy Sweet Chili Doritos or Snyder's Jalapeño Pretzels) and premade vegan snack stuff (like Nacho Moms vegan queso or Earth Balance white cheddar puffs). So here are five easy-to-make vegan junk food splurges!
- 1.Toasted spicy chickpeas:Drain and dry between paper towels toss a can of chickpeas, toss with a mix of oil and salt, roast in a 400-degree oven for 20 or 30 minutes, then toss with spices (I like cumin and curry or chili powder) and CHOMP
- 2.Buffalo cauliflower bites:A good recipe here (note: she calls for brown rice flour; any flour will do) http://theleancleaneatingmachine.com/2014/02/02/cauliflower-buffalo-bites/
- 3.Socca pancake with basil oil:Below is David Lebowitz's recipe for socca, chickpea-flour pancakes. Basil oil—not necessary, but why not gild the lily? Blend 3/4 cup olive oil with 1 1/2 cups basil leaves. http://www.davidlebovitz.com/2009/06/socca-enfin/
- 4.Polenta fries with spicy sauce:Recipes for polenta fries are everywhere; this one's decent: http://lorimerkitchen.com/2013/10/30/vegan-polenta-fries-with-garlic-lemon-aioli/. Serve with her lemon aioli or, just a bit more effort but huge payoff, Torrisi's spicy sauce: http://food52.com/recipes/20017-torrisi-s-spicy-sauce
- 5.Chips and guacamole:You can never go wrong with homemade guac.