THEATER TIME MACHINE ➕
There are a few live performances I wish I could go back in time and place to see.
- •Chiwetel Ejiofor and Ewan McGregor in Othello in London, 2007.I wanted so badly to go. Tickets cost as much as the flight would have.
- •Angela Lansbury in Sweeney Todd, Broadway 1979.I have a good friend who was actually there, which I learned only after introducing her to the theater time machine. She and I saw AL in Blithe Spirit together recently at the Ahmanson. She was wonderful.
- •Richard Burbage in Hamlet, circa 1601.I don't care if it's cliche. I would be lying if I didn't include it.
- •Anyone else? Opera counts, @kathleenstetson and I guess any live performance.
- •The Neon Woman with Divine off Broadway, 1978 as suggested by @angusisley
- •Betty Buckley OR Barbara Cook in Carrie, the MusicalMostly because I am highly curious about the original Broadway flop. I've always been very obsessed with ever since I heard about it in high school. I have less a desire to see the revivals of it. I'd want to see the original production in all its glory.Suggested by @eatthelove
- •William Katt & Ben Vereen in PippinI realize that John Rubenstein originated the role but I had the William Katt version on VHS and I so it is ingrained in me. But I'd see the John R. version too.Suggested by @eatthelove
- •Sunday in the Park with George with Mandy Patinkin and Bernadette Peters 1983Suggested by @kathleenstetson
- •Dafne - at the Palazzo Corsi in 1598. First opera ever.Suggested by @kathleenstetson
- •Ethel Merman in Gypsy
- •The original cast of A Chorus Line
- •The original cast of Angels in America
- •Jessica Tandy and Marlon Brando in A Streetcar Named Desire
- •The original cast of Dreamgirls
- •Farrah Fawcett in Bobbi BolandMore than any of the celebrated suggestions I made for this list, I wish I could go back in time to see this. The story of a former beauty queen running her own salon, everyone expected it to be s huge hit and Farrah's comeback, as Extremities had been in the 80s; instead, it closed...in PREVIEWS.
- •Gwen Verdon and Chita Rivera in Chicago
- •Laurette Taylor in The Glass Menagerie
- •Gregory Hines w/ a young Savion Glover in 1992's Broadway version of "Jellys Last jam"Suggested by @johnniehobbs