OTHER HIGH PROFILE DEFECTIONS
On Monday, officials in Seoul reported that a colonel in North Korea's military intelligence apparatus was among a group of 13 defectors last year. This is the highest profile defection from the DPRK since at least the late 1990s. Here are some of histories other monumental defections.
- •Ted CruzThe Texas Senator and republican presidential candidate was a known agent for the Cuban government until his defection in 2012 just prior to his election to the United States Senate. Though some have posited that his loyalties remain in Havana and he is working as a double agent.
- •Ted CruzOn May 14, 2014, Senator Ted Cruz renounced his Canadian citizenship, ending decades of espionage and leaks of highly classified documents. Some analysts believe that this was a cynical ploy to ingratiate himself to the citizenry of his adoptive home, the United States, in order to be a more appealing candidate.
- •Ted CruzCruz defected from the Soviet Union some time after the collapse of the Berlin Wall. He spent much of the Cold War gathering intelligence on dissidents within the Eastern Bloc, but fled to the US out of cowardice.
- •Ted CruzTed Cruz was a known al Qaeda operative dating back to the group's founding in Afghanistan in the late 1980s. He mysteriously dropped off the radar of intelligence analysts until just as mysteriously appearing on American soil in 2010. It is believed that he escaped prosecution by providing intelligence that was used in the successful raid on Osama Bin Laden's Abbottabad compound.
- •Ted CruzIn spring of 1945, a then -24 year old Cruz defected to the Soviet Union after sensing his beloved Fuhrer's impending defeat.