Career questions for all li-sters
Inspired by @amieshmamie!
- 1.Did you always know you wanted to do the job you're doing?Not at all. I write about technology. I've always loved technology, as well as writing, but I never really considered it as a career.
- 2.How many years of schooling did you go through post-high school?I have a degree in Media Studies, and a Masters in Computer Games Design. That sounds like I had a plan. In reality, I did the degree because I wanted to go into war journalism. I did the Masters because I wanted to go into making games.
- 3.How much did your educational loans add up to?Long story as to my loans for my Masters. My degree has left me £13k in debt and rising.
- 4.What's the best part of your job?I get to do something I love. I love writing. I love technology. I love the variety as I write for numerous different places. I'd get bored doing the same thing all the time.
- 5.What's the worst part of your job?The uncertainty. It's a volatile industry. Sometimes, the work can dry up through no fault of your own. Pitching ideas can be tough too as you're effectively selling yourself.
- 6.Is there anything ironic about your job?I do some writing about video games too. When I mostly covered games, I actually found I rarely played them for fun any more. I'd finish work and be desperate to do something else!
- 7.What's your end-goal career-wise? Is there a professional ladder you are climbing?I haven't really got one. I'd like to keep earning more. There are a few specific places I'd like to write for. I'd like to expand into other fields of journalism too. Otherwise, as long as I enjoy my job, I'm quite happy.
- 8.If you weren't doing the job you are doing, what would you want to try instead?I often consider taking a law conversion course. It costs a lot though. But maybe? Otherwise, I wanted to get into politics back when I was at Uni. Not really a good 'backup' plan though!
- 9.Are you happy with your choice?Yup! I stumbled into it really but it's paid off very well so far. I'm lucky.