HOW TO PREPARE FOR PUBLIC SPEAKING
I just gave a keynote speech at a business conference for young women. Now I am drinking tequila and writing this list
- •Practice giving imaginary speech every time you're in the shower for weeks before. Imagine killing it with imaginary speech.But never write it down bc "how hard can writing an hour-long speech be?"
- •Attempt to write a first draft. Realize you have no idea what you are supposed to write.
- •Ask organizer for guidance on the topicHear back "just be inspiring"
- •Google "what is keynote speech"
- •Block out entire day to write speech but spend most of it looking at YouTube videos of other people's speechesNote: "From limbless to limitless" is worth your time
- •Tell everyone who will listen that you are unqualified to give speech and signing up for speech was worst decision you ever madei.e. be such real fun to be around
- •Write speech the day before. Record self giving speech on iPhone voice memo app. Listen over and over to self giving speech. Die inside all the time.
- •Stay up until 3:30am the night before writing speech on index cards with pretty pen. Imagine this is not how Sheryl Sandberg gives speeches
- •Wake up brush teeth comb hair put on dress drink largest coffee that has ever been poured into vessel
- •Give speech
- •CryBut of happiness and gratitude that speech was ok and it's over and because organizer said you killed it and hugged you really tight after