Fates and Furies List: The Characters' Favorite Woody Allen Movies
It's been fun, @BookClub!
- •Lotto - Midnight in ParisHe likes to think that Ernest Hemingway and Gertrude Stein would totally want to hang out with him, too. He also has a thing for French girls (though who wouldn't go for Marion Cotillard).
- •Mathilde - Bullets Over BroadwayShe relates to the gangster who writes the play without taking credit and quietly enjoys the fact that a woman steals the show.
- •Chollie - Match PointNot a big Woody Allen fan, but that scene in the rain with Scarlett Johansson is pretty hot. And he likes that the guy just kills her as soon as she gets annoying.
- •Antoinette - Blue JasmineShows what a life of abandonment and disappointment does to a woman.
- •Leo - Stardust MemoriesShows what a life of fame and success does to a man.
- •Sallie - Hannah and her SistersShe can get behind the idea that it's hard to keep a family together but it's worth it.
- •Rachel - Vicky Christina BarcelonaJust likes it is all.
- •The Private Investigator - ZeligCertainly not down on Vicky Cristina Barcelona, but how can she not love a movie about a shapeshifter who always blends in with the crowd?
- •Natalie - Annie HallShe's described as wearing Doc Martens so she'd probably be into the Annie Hall look (and the narrative about a woman finding the confidence to pursue her art).
- •Samuel - Crimes and MisdemeanorsBad things happen to good people and vice versa. To him, it's the only fucking honest movie Allen ever did.
- •Bridget - Purple Rose of CairoA woman falls for a beautiful actor who abandons her. So 😩 but so REAL!!!
- •Danica - Manhattan Murder MysteryI get the sense she knows what it's like to be a Manhattan housewife desperate for excitement.
- •Land - Broadway Danny RoseHe knows what it's like to never quite make it on Broadway. Plus, if he's into Mathilde, he's probably also into Mia Farrow in this movie (pictured).
- •Susannah - Radio DaysShe likes the story about the pretty ditz who becomes a star.
- •Ariel - ManhattanMakes him feel less guilty about keeping a teenaged mistress.
- •Gwennie - ManhattanBut she likes that the teenaged girl is smarter than everyone else.
- •Mathilde's Uncle - BananasWhy? Who knows? The man was a mystery.