It's Thanksgiving in Canada 🇨🇦
We celebrate Thanksgiving in October up North!
- •Thanksgiving is always the 2nd Monday in October
- •It is not the big deal it is in the United States and isn't my favourite holiday but always nice to have an excuse to get together with family and eat a nice meal or two
- •It's the first 'break' from school. I've been teaching for 5 weeks now, which isn't long but it's nice to have a long weekend to catch up and rest before report card writing starts
- •Canadians celebrate on any day of this weekend, even though today is the day!
- •My Dad's side of the family ALWAYS gets together on the Saturday at my parent's house. This year there were 19 adults and 3 little ones there.
- •We don't see my dad's side that often- only major holidays. Not because they live far we are just not that close with them.
- •My dad makes amazing stuffing
- •Im in charge of the piesMy grandma made them for years and then it was just too much for her and one year my aunt bought pies and they were awful
- •I said I would try it- that was 8 years ago and I'm the officially pie maker now
- •I make 5 pies: 2 pumpkin (of course), 2 lemon meringue and 1 chocolateThere are leftovers but not many. This year they turned out better than ever. I make my crust from scratch but have help (canned or box that I modify) for the fillings.
- •Sunday was our 'day off' from family gatherings. Anthony did yard work all day while I caught up on some house stuff, school work and prepared for Monday.
- •Sunday evening we had chicken fingers and fries and watched one of my favourite movies Julie & Julia
- •We also each ate a pint of our favourite splurge Ben & Jerry's ice cream while watching the Toronto Blue Jays sweep the Texas Rangers!!!My ice cream of choice is Late Night Dough (Jimmy Fallon one)
- •Today we can sleep in on a Monday!! In a few hours we have dinner with Anthony's mom side at his Nonna's. It's a potluck. We are in charge of wine and appetizers.I've made a jalapeño popper dip and spinach cups (it's like spanakopita)
- •It's nice to have a weekend like this! Happy Thanksgiving Canadian friends!!