EDIT NOTES I LEAVE FOR MYSELF
I'm currently going through draft 100 of my new book and these are the notes I keep coming across
- •Awk!I had a writing teacher in college that used to write this on our stories and now I write it on my students' stories too. And apparently on my own work. The last 100 pages of my book have this so many times, that I started to wonder if my dog, Wrigley, had a couple of whiskeys and jumped on my computer to finish the thing.
- •?Every time I see this, I think, "well, you wrote the damn thing, so if you don't get it than who will? What are you asking??"
- •Make betterYeah, thanks past me for this awesome but of advice. I was going to write a shitty paragraph but now I think I'll make it better. Super easy.
- •Does this make sense?Again, who are you asking? If you're questioning it, then the answer is most likely no.
- •[write this scene later]No!!! Write it now! You aren't going to want to do it 2 weeks from now, I promise.
- •Start hereThis one always makes me sad because it means I have to cut a ton of pages that I worked hard on and apparently never had to write in the first place
- •No!!!!This is also usually underlined, like I can't believe I would write something so stupid and just want to emphasize that.
- •Too fast?/too slow?I think I add question marks to soften the blow when I read these later, like this gentle suggestion is better than an order.
- •MoreAgain, so specific and helpful. More! Write more of this!