Lines we waited in in New York last week
Ranked by how worth it they were.
- •The Color Purple (20 minutes at the box office, 10 minutes at the theater)Phenomenal show. Cynthia Erivo and Danielle Brooks are revelations. I'd never read the book (yes, I know that's terrible) or seen the movie, so this was my first introduction to the story. I ugly cried so much, but I absolutely adored it.
- •Black Tap for burgers and shakes (1 hour, 15 minutes)Amazing. So worth the hype and the wait. The shakes are gorgeous and you mostly go for the Instagram picture, but the burgers are out of this world too. Pictured: my mama with her cookie shake.
- •Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island (30 minutes for the ferry to Liberty Island, 1 hour for the ferry to Ellis Island, and 45 minutes for the ferry back to Manhattan)Very cool, with Ellis Island much more interesting than Liberty Island. In fact, I'd recommend just staying on the ferry when it stops at Liberty Island. My stepfather's grandfather came through Ellis Island in 1906, likely as a result of the pogroms in Russia, and there's something really powerful about seeing the Statue of Liberty and walking through the registration room at Ellis Island, knowing that these would have been the first sights he saw and the first steps he took in America.
- •@RussAndDaughters (20 minutes)Not actually a line as they texted us when our table was ready, but in the spirit of a line. Also well worth the hype. I had the cucumber soda, classic board and latkes. The latkes were crazy thick. Stellar.
- •Hamilton lottery and #Ham4Ham show (1 hour, 45 minutes)The line part was more to get a good view for the #Ham4Ham show. You can drop by right at 12 to drop your name in. The guest this week was Will Chase, who I didn't know, but was a very exciting surprise for my Nashville-loving mom. Would have ranked higher if we'd actually won 😜.
- •Ess-a-Bagel (30 minutes)It was a really good bagel, but I think I start to experience diminishing returns when it comes to bagels. Would also probably rank higher, but we went on Wednesday morning, so I was having anxious times about getting to the Richard Rogers in time for a good spot in that line (hence the absence of a picture).