My issue with JK Rowling's latest piece about the wizarding community of North America 🔮⚡️
Posted on Pottermore: https://www.pottermore.com/writing-by-jk-rowling/macusa
- •The Magical Congress of the United States of America (MACUSA) was founded in 1693.
- •The United States of America didn't exist until 1776. You could argue it didn't exist until 1789, but the phrase "United States" was used in the Declaration of Independence, so I'll give you 1776. Either way - at least an 83 year discrepancy.
- •So why was the wizarding government calling itself the Magical Congress of the United States of America?
- •Listen, as an American, I feel like I'm probably predisposed to a certain narcissism that affects many of my compatriots.
- •We assume that the world knows all about American history and politics, even though we know very little of other countries'.
- •And I try hard not to think like that. It's annoying and plays into the stereotypes about Americans.
- •But I feel like this is a pretty easy thing to look up.
- •Ok, petty rant over. Thanks for listening. Bye! 🙋