WHAT HAPPENED IN NORTH CAROLINA YESTERDAY 😔
My state condoned and empowered the discrimination of its LGBT citizens.
- •In February, Charlotte passed a non-discrimination ordinance. Among other things, that ordinance prohibited discrimination on the basis of sexual orientation and gender identity and required that people be allowed to use the restroom of the gender they identify with.
- •The bill was set to become effective April 1st. The NC General Assembly called an "emergency" special session in response to this ordinance.
- •Republicans in the state house introduced a wide, sweeping bill that would ban municipalities from passing non-discrimination ordinances.
- •They didn't make the language of the bill public until 10am yesterday. The house and senate voted by yesterday afternoon, and the governor signed it late last night.
- •Most people didn't even know what was happening until it was too late. I called my state senator and emailed the governor, but given that I didn't do that until after 6, I doubt they even got it.
- •Here's what this law does:
- •Requires that people use the bathroom of their "biological sex." i.e. A transgender man cannot use the men's restroom and a transgender woman cannot use the women's restroom.
- •Prohibits municipalities from passing non-discrimination ordinances that protect LGBT citizens. Or veterans. Or pregnant women.
- •Prohibits municipalities from passing ordinances that would set a higher minimum wage.
- •Prevents people who bring certain discrimination suits from suing in state court.
- •I love my home state, but I am embarrassed and ashamed to be a North Carolinian today.