What I Do Believe In
Thanks for the list request @Athelist. This took a turn after the election, but here it is.
- •I think this request stems from my list about my atheism: Hi, I'm an atheist
- •@Athelist made a great point that too often, atheists are defined by what they don't believe, rather than what they do: Better Labels Than "Atheist"
- •So thanks for this great request and the opportunity to outline what I do believe.
- •I believe in the basic goodness of humanity. I believe circumstance and environment can create hatred and bigotry, but I believe most people arrive on this earth with a basic kernel of goodness.
- •I believe our job while we are here is to make a difference. To work on ways that improve the lives of our friends, neighbors and communities.
- •I believe we are resilient. I believe that kernel that gives us our basic goodness gives us the urge to persevere in the face of adversity.
- •I believe that though the pendulum may swing, though we may experience setbacks, the overall arc of history is toward justice and equality. We may zig and zag, falter and stumble, but we march towards progress.
- •I believe that America is a country with many faults, but that our system of government is strong and balanced.
- •I believe that we have a moral obligation to vote.
- •I believe black lives matter.
- •I believe in reproductive choice.
- •I believe in fundamental equality, regardless of race, ethnicity, religion, sex, gender, sexual orientation, class, ability or nationality.
- •I believe in humanity.