MISTAKES I MADE WHILE TRYING TO BAKE THE PERFECT CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIE
In my opinion, the perfect CCC is flat, crispy around the edges, softer in the middle. Airy pockets and crags. Light in color. Mine were not that. After two attempts in two days, I now have so much cookie dough in my fridge and freezer. 😕
- •Mine turned out puffy (Levain style) and I'm pretty sure I over-creamed the sugar and butter. The more air you whip in, the higher the cookie rises. (Or so I read.)
- •I also need a lighter pan for better spread.
- •I forgot to buy light brown sugar so I improvised with white and dark brown. Maybe this is where I went wrong.
- •I spooned the dough too big. I need smaller dollops, also way thinner. Actually the dough shouldn't be a dollop at all.
- •Maybe my oven rack needs to be higher? I'll look into this.
- •Maybe I need to buy an oven thermometer to make sure my temp is correct?
- •UPDATE: a happy ending
- •I moved my oven rack up, chilled the dough for 48 hours, then sliced. Et voila!