REALLY GREAT CHILD ACTORS OF THE 80S AND 90S
- •FRED SAVAGEThe most expressive eyebrows in the biz. He was also great at playing angry or pissy. "Paul!" "Wayne!"
- •BRAD RENFROBrad had It. The Client largely works as a movie bc of him-- and his chemistry with Susan Sarandon and Mary Louise Parker. His performance in Sleepers haunts me to this day. You could just kinda tell he had a messed up life, the way he was able to tap into pain and anger and hurt so effortlessly.
- •COREY HAIMThere's only room for one Corey on this list and while most would cede this to Feldman, who surely did turn out some great performances in The Goonies and Stand by Me, I'm going with the subtler Haim, by the strength of his performance in Lucas.
- •RIVER PHOENIXThis guy just broke your heart. Stand by Me isn't Stand by Me without him. He was raw, emotional, and we can only wonder what great performances he'd have turned out had he lived. Leo DiCaprio might not have a career.
- •MAUCAULEY CULKINThere are so many talented Culkins to choose from but it would be criminal not to go with Mac, the OG. I cannot watch My Girl without sobbing for hours, all thanks to his Thomas J. I would've liked to have seen what he could do as an adult, but the guy has given us enough.
- •KE HUY QUANA lot of the heart of The Goonies comes from this little guy. In a time when all we had was Long Duck Dong, The Goonies gave us Data, who even with his accent, didn't feel like the butt of a joke, at least not to me. He gave great scream face, as Data and as Short Round. He held his own in roles that could've been minor and forgettable.
- •ANTHONY MICHAEL HALLI would be remiss in excluding him just because he's an obvious choice. He's obvious for a reason, he was good. Funny, charismatic, willing to play the fool, as Rusty, as Farmer Ted, as Brian, as Gary.