REALLY GREAT CHILD ACTRESSES OF THE 80S AND 90S
I really wish this list had some diversity on it but it's a commentary on Hollywood and how few roles there were for people of color in the 80s and 90s. Much more diversity with the boys than the girls. Then, and now. Now, and Then. But we'll get to that.
- •LARISA OLEYNIKI didn't watch her in Alex Mack but I loved her work in the AT&T commercial and Babysitters Club and of course 10 Things. There's a kind of openness to her face, it's old-fashioned in a way.
- •MAE WHITMANBy the age of 6, she had acted with more A-list stars than maybe even Kevin Bacon. George, Michelle, Will, Sandy, Meg, the list goes on and on. Yes, she too was in When a Man Loves a Woman. It is a freaking JOKE that she's not going to be in ID4 part 2. A JOKE. I'm angry.
- •GABY HOFFMANOh my God this girl! Uncle Buck. To say nothing of Sleepless in Seattle! So cute in Field of Dreams. Don't even get me started on Now and Then. Demi Moore as the adult version of her was a misstep. I see her more as a Marisa Tomei.
- •TINA MAJORINOHow cute was this kid in Corinna, Corinna! In Andre! In When a Man Loves a Woman starring Meg Ryan and Andy Garcia!
- •CHRISTINA RICCIOne word. Mermaids. Also in Now and Then. If casting Demi as Gaby was a misstep, casting Rosie as Christina was a travesty. In fact all of the adult cast choices were wrong.
- •THORA BIRCHNow and Then alum. ADORABLE in Patriot Games. I'm sad she's not in stuff anymore. She was so great in American Beauty too, and obvsly Ghost World.
- •MELISSA GILBERTNo doubt about it, that kid had It. "It" being that honest quality, that realness-- when child actors go so deep into play, it's like they believe it's real so you do too.
- •NATALIE PORTMANHer performance in The Professional is pretty much the gold standard. She could've stopped there and had a really great career.
- •JENNY LEWISWell obviously! I wanted to be her. In Troop Beverly Hills, The Wizard, that random episode of Just the Ten of Us.